Saturday, June 4, 2011

The differences

Apart from waking at 6am this morning with another bout of diaoreah, Mexico City has been wonderful. Condesa, the area we are staying in, has a bohemian flavor - well so said the touribus we took the other day. To try to liken it to somewhere in Brisbane I guess I would say somewhere between new farm (take away the yuppiedom, more for it's diversity of restaurants and bars) and west end, but heaps higher living density, always something going on in the streets, such an industrious hard working people. I mentioned the cracked and motley footpaths; everyday we see people out sweeping them and hosing them, cleaning even with a bucket of soapy water. And then the next day, we see the same people doing it again. A daily chore for them. There are also lots of dogs, and never have we seen a dog poo. A horse poo once though...
Many people make their living on the streets. There are food stalls on every corner, stalls selling watches, socks, any dam thing they can get their hands on, there are shoe shiners and there is music - everywhere. I took a pic of a fellow playing a xylophone the other day, and very quickly his offsider was over to me with a cup for a coin. I happily gave him 5 pesos for the joy of hearing sounds like that on a busy street and in return he gave me their card - in case I wanted to hire them for a sociale :) On the streets downtown are men playing Hamonipans which give a carnival, happy feel to everything. they too put their hats out for coins as you pass.


(not my pic above, it's googled. I only take a few photos on my iPhone preferring to use my better camera, and I don't have the technology to download pics to the iPad)

Then of course the architecture is so incredibly different; old, European. And even on old run down places you can see the touches of style and attention to detail that give their beauty longevity despite having seen better days, like this old gate.



The people out on the streets while mostly friendly are not overly forthcoming, they are dignified and humble. I shouldn't generalize but I guess that's more a first impression statement. Locals that we've encountered on a closer level, like the guys who run this place are incredibly warm. A woman who lives around the corner from our BnB joined us in the garden and she was also very warm and sociable. Merryon and I went out to dinner at the same place two nights in a row and the waiter whose eyes lit up when he recognized us, gave us a kiss hello.

Mostly the cars seem to be older. I have seen very few high end vehicles. Most of the taxis are pretty old too. This is fine by me, I like old cars.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment